Monday, June 6, 2016

The One In Which I Discuss My Motive

As some of you will know, June is PTSD awareness month. This is a month dedicated to those that left the theater of war only to enter into a new battlefield where a home should be. Today is also the 6th of June, the anniversary of the Normandy Invasions and one of the most horrific days armed forces members had to live through. PTSD has known many names including Shell-Shock and Gulf War Syndrome but it has constantly been undermedicated and gone largely unnoticed by members of the civilian world.

I have had several friends who lost their battle with PTSD and have taken their own life. I have known more families who now suffer because of a family member's struggle. This is a conflict that I am too familiar with and want to see discussed in the mainstream.

For those of you that have read my fiction, you know that is it rooted in psychology and how human mind can be broken. You also know that I despise writing from a theme. This is just part of who I am, so, of course, it finds its way into my writing. I do not want to preach to you about caring for those suffering from Combat PTSD. I merely want to tell you stories that resemble what happens inside their minds. If my stories are told well enough, then you, as an individual, will, hopefully, be moved to care for those who are suffering.

An estimated 8,000 veterans commit suicide each year. If you are suffering from Combat PTSD or know anyone who is, then please do not hesitate to get informed and seek help. http://ptsdusa.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment